There is just something special about your parent's holiday recipes! My dad always made the best Green Beans Almandine, and I’m going to share them with you! 👨🍳👩🍳
- 1 lb French green beans (also called haricots verts or French string beans)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup blanched almond slices
- 2 large shallots, chopped small (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
1. Fill a large saucepan with water and add 1 tablespoon of salt. Bring to a boil and add the French green beans. Blanch for 2-2.5 minutes (no longer, or you'll have floppy beans!). While the beans are cooking, prepare an ice bath in a large bowl (use a full tray of ice cubes and enough water to submerge the beans). Once the beans are done cooking, drain immediately and add to the ice bath.
2. Meanwhile, heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the butter and allow it to melt, then add the almond slices. Brown the almonds for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they start to turn a dark golden colour. Then, add the shallots and red pepper flakes and sauté another 2 minutes. Finally, add the garlic and sauté another 30 seconds, until fragrant.
3. Drain the beans from the ice bath and add to the skillet with the almonds, shallot and garlic. Add the lemon juice, if using. Toss the beans gently (I use silicon-tipped tongs) until they're evenly coated and warmed through. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.
No public reviews yet! Will you be the first?